Thursday, July 28, 2011

Glenora Distillery

Joanne watched the boys for the afternoon while Ben and I went and had lunch and a tour of the Glenora Distillery near Inverness. Glenora is Canada's only single malt whisky distillery, where they make Glen Breton Rare. Interestingly, they were sued by Scotland all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada because they used the name "Glen" in their product. Apparently Scotland is very particular about who uses the name "Glen". I have several uncles who should really take note. Incidentally, Scotland lost the court case and Glen Breton reigns supreme in Cape Breton and across many parts of North America.


Live music playing over lunch. The little girl on the fiddle was hilarious... she was so talented and could play any celtic song as well as I've heard, but between tunes she would check for texts on her phone! She reminded me of my students.

This is the Mash House. I'm a little unclear, but I think it has something to do with adding the barley and the yeast. (Can you tell I'm not much of a whisky drinker?)

Something to do with fermentation.

The stills that take out the water from the concoction and increase the alcohol content.

No comments: