Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Frontier Ranch- revisited...



























































































For those of you who don't know, my grandparents ran a summer camp for many years near White Lake (Arnprior-ish), Ontario called Frontier Ranch. They sold it many years ago, and many of us have kind of avoided it ever since in order to preserve the memory. It was beautiful in it's hay-day... 800 acres of horseback riding trails, lake and forest... My cousin and her husband came to Canada from where they are living in France for the holidays, and since neither Greg nor Ben had ever seen the ranch, we decided to make a pilgrimage. It had recently snowed, which was good because it hid the fact that everything is much more grown over than we remembered it. Although all of the snow in the world couldn't cover up the fact that there is now a sattelite dish mounted on the 200+ year old log house!!! (I really have to start taking more pictures- because Ben is absent in all of these as he was the photographer. ) We finished up the day at my aunt's apartment with dinner and a visit with Grandma. It was a great day.
















3 comments:

delanty said...

Oh my gosh, i almost cried when i saw the picture of the water front at frontier ranch. Although covered with snow, it looks exactly as i remember it when i attended the camp when i was little. My two older sisters and i attended frontier ranch, we still talk about it to this day. We speak fondly of chief and hunda, your grandparents. What amazing people!

Unknown said...

I used to go to this camp too when I was a kid! I still have this little trinket your grandfather gave me when I was about 8. I went every year from age 6 to 12. This place is one of my happiest childhood memories! Thanks so much for posting the photos

Jane Moneypenny said...

So glad I came across these pics; I always wondered what ever became of Frontier Ranch :) ... Beautiful place and your grandparents were beautiful people. They, and the camp, had a profound impact on my life. Thanks for sharing :)